Literary Techniques and Their Connection to Conflict in Literature
1.Read the required materials and review the handout Plot, Theme, and Conflict. All stories have a theme that forms the plot. Also, literary elements and techniques contribute to creating and highlighting the theme. In this discussion you will
- Choose a story from the textbook.
- Describe the core conflict represented in the story.
- Describe the theme of the story.
- Select three literary elements/techniques in the story and describe them.
- Explain how the elements/techniques illustrate the theme and conflict expressed in the story.
2.In the stories you have read in Chapters 4-7, you have been introduced to several kinds of characters. Using a story that is different than the one you analyzed in the Literary Techniques and Their Connection to Conflict in Literature discussion, describe a character you sympathize with by answering the following questions:
- Why did this character interest you? What choices does the character make, and how do the choices (or the result of the choices) contribute to the theme of the story?
- What kind of conflict (internal/external) did this character encounter, and how did he/she handle it?
- How does the setting contribute to the character’s development?
- How does the setting contribute to the character’s experience and give the story more meaning?