Discussion 1: “Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award”
- Discuss the standout features of the companies’ approaches to managing operations.
- Discuss the attributes you find impressive about the companies’ policies and procedures, and use of best practices.
- Discuss how the companies emphasize continuous improvement and the use of rewards and incentives.
Discussion 2: “Wal-Mart Stores Inc.”
- Assess how the constant bashing of Wal-Mart by the media impacted Wal-Mart’s ability to operate effectively in the communities where its stores operated and how management’s choice to ignore the problem exacerbated it.
- Evaluate Wal-Mart’s shift in strategy from “just saving money” to “saving money to live better” and the impact to Wal-Mart suppliers, customers, and employees. Suggest whether or not this shift aligns with the company’s values and how any gaps should be addressed.
- Recommend a strategy for Wal-Mart to leverage its cost-efficient operations business model worldwide, leading to financial stability and a desirable return on investment to shareholders.