Week 8 Discussion: America and Terrorism in the 21st Century
Required Resources Read/review the following resources for this activity:
· Textbook: Chapter 32
· Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Initial Post Instructions Consider a few terrorist activities since the 1980s until today. Here is a starting point:
· 1983: United States Embassy in Beirut and Kuwait is bombed
· 1988: Osama bin Laden re-organizes Al Qaeda in Pakistan to carry out attacks
· 1993: World Trade Center Bombing (first time)
· 1995: Oklahoma City Bombing
· 1998: United Stated Embassy bombings Nairobi and Sar Es Salaam
· 2001: 9/11 Bombing of the World Trade Centers
· 2001: Bio Terrorism begins (anthrax letters and Bill Gates’s warnings on bio terrorism)
· 2013: Boston Marathon Bombings
· 2018: Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting
Then, address three (3) of the following and craft a response, as a whole, for your selections:
· Explain if you think that global terrorism can be stopped.
· Analyze the responsibility of the United States today to be the world’s “policeman.”
· Assess if peace and stability in the Middle East are vital to U.S. economy and national security.
· If the United States withdrew its troops from the Middle East tomorrow, would the terrorist threat end. Why or why not?
· Assess if the use of military force is the only way to prevent terrorism. Are there other possible alternatives? Which strategy is best and why?