. During your time at the game, you are to put on your “sociologist/ethnographer hat.” That is, you will not be a participant yourself, but an observer, noting the following and making notes on the social interactions you see. Write a 1-2 page paper that answers the following:
- Describe the setting of the competitionâ€”what are the key elements of space and environment that affect behavior?
- Who is there? What are the fans likeâ€”their age, gender, status, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, education, etc.?
- What about the playersâ€”how do they compare with the fans in terms of demographics?
- What social behaviors stand out? For example, who hangs out with whom, and what are the moods and social dynamics?
- What special language and knowledge characterizes the sport?
- What notable or particular behavior of individuals or groups stands out in this event?
Figure out how you want to take notes by hand during the field observation. You will input them into the electronic form when you get to your computer (unless you are a tech-savvy person who takes notes right on your notebook device).
Utilize this template to record your observations in the field.
You will want to use the observation sheet to guide you as you write your final paper. Submit your final paper as a Microsoft Word document in paragraph format.
For inspiration, check out the article on unique and amusing college hockey fan traditions in the unit web resources.
Be sure to cite your sources using proper APA format.